Skip to content

Bradshaw’s Guide

Birkenhead

This place contains a population of 51,649, chiefly engaged in shipbuilding; large docks of 150 acres, made by Rendel, and opened in August, 1847; 4 chapels, court house, St. Aidan’s college, founded in 1849; gas and water works, Abattoir pier Market place, 430 feet long; St. Mary’s church which overlooks the river was part of a restored abbey, ruins of a priory founded in 1150 by Hamon de Massey, 2 churches, fine park and great square. In the vicinity are Seacembe, Egremont, Leasowe Castle, and New Brighton, with the Blackrock Lighthouse and Bidstone Light.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.

Places nearby