Hereford, stands at a military Ford on the Wye, which King Harold protected by a castle, the site of which, at Castle Green, is now occupied by the Nelson Column.
This place has a population of 5,658, principally engaged in the manufacture of hats, leather gloves, and coarse cloth; it has also a considerable trade in wheat, wool, hops, and cyder. It has several free and national schools, meeting houses, and charitable institutions. Many of the buildings, which are of timber and plaster, grotesquely ornamented, present indications of the antiquity of the town. The buildings of greatest note are the church, rebuilt in the early part of the seventeenth century; the Butter Cross, erected about 1633, of timber and plaster, Market House, and House of Industry. This last formed part of a priory.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
Ross is situated on a rocky elevation on the east bank of the Wye. In the church are several monuments of the Rudhall family, one of whom opposed Cromwell in his siege of Hereford.
This interesting old place, of 4,621 inhabitants, stands among the Monmouthshire Hills, near the Sugar Loaf, Blorenge, and other peaks.