Skip to content

Bradshaw’s Guide

West Cowes

The green, Cowes, Isle of Wight, England. Taken between ca. 1890 and ca. 1900. Original: Library of Congress

Cowes, five miles from Newport. An immense quantity of shipping call off here annually, from all parts of the globe, for orders from their owners or consignees, as to the destination of their cargoes; and in the winter months fleets of merchantmen of all nations rendezvous here weatherbound.

It lies at the mouth of the Medina and is a stirring port, noted for its shipbuilding (especially at White’s yard), and yachting. There is deep water here; the Royal Yacht Club hold their regatta in August. Handsome Club house, Old castle, built by Henry VIII., from which Cowes derives its name. Dr. Arnold was a native of Cowes. There is a ferry to East Cowes, across the Medina, beyond which Norris Castle and Osborne House are visible. Sailing boats 2s. per hour.

On the beach are bathing machines, and it is much visited by fashionable company.

Distances of Places from Cowes
To: Miles.
Barton 2
Baskets
East Cowes ¾
East Cowes Castle Earl of Shannon.
Egypt 1
Gurnet Farm 1
King’s Key 3
Kingston
Noder
Northwood
Northwood House Now a School. ½
Osborne
West Cowes House ¼
Yacht Club House ½

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.

Places nearby