The appearance of Canterbury, from whatever part approached, is exquisitely beautiful, and as we enter, symbols of its antiquity stare us in the face everywhere.
This place contains a population of 441, who are engaged in the hop trade, beautiful crops of which are yearly obtained from this neighbourhood. The old church is an antique edifice, and contains some pews as old as the time of the Reformation. In the vicinity are the villages of Luddesdown, the church of which contains a tomb to the old lords of the manor, the Montacutes; Meopham, with its ancient church, rebuilt in 1333 by Archbishop Meopham, a native ; and Meopham Bank, the pretty seat of W. N. Smith, Esq., and Wouldham.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
The capital of Kent, on the Medway, and in a tract of land of great fertility, among orchards, hop grounds, and woodlands.
This ancient borough town, having been a British town before the Roman invasion, stands in a rich vale on the banks of the Medway.