Skip to content

Bradshaw’s Guide

Handborough

Blenheim Park to the right. A government grant of half a million of money was expended in the erection of a magnificent palace at this place for the Duke of Marlborough in the reign of Queen Anne. Besides a beautiful chapel, it contains a library of more than 17,000 volumes. It also contained a most costly collection of paintings, until recently (1861), the most valuable portion of them having been accidentally destroyed by fire. It is a calamity the nation will deeply deplore. The grounds are laid out with great taste; and the park, which is richly wooded, is about 2,700 acres in extent.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.

Places nearby