In the vicinity is Needwood Forest, belonging to the Duchy of Lancaster through King Henry IV. The principal portion is oak timber: (here is the Swilcar Oak, a very ancient tree, 21 feet in girth); Egginton Heath, on which Sir J. Gill defeated the royalists in 1644. Near at hand is the Hall, the old seat of the Leighs, but now held by Sir H. Every, and quite modernised; and Tutbury Castle, on the river Dove, which overflows its banks, but verifies the old adage,
In April Dove’s flood.
Is worth a king’s good.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.