Reading is situated on two small eminences, whose gentle declivities fall into a pleasant vale, through which the branches of the Kennet flow till they unite with the Thames at the extremity of the town.
This place is situated on the river Mole, here crossed by a bridge of fourteen arches. The church was built about the year 1346, in the form of a cross, but has since been restored. The Mole here-abouts is very attractive to the pedestrian, as well the angler, for its excellent views and very excellent trout. Fetcham Park is close by.
An excursion maybe made from here to Stoke d’Abernon (3½ miles), passing through Woodlands Park, the seat of J. Smith, Esq. The old church (St. Mary’s), at Stoke d’Abernon (or Alborne), lies embedded in trees, close to the Manor House (Rev. F. Parr Phillips). It contains the most ancient monumental brasses in England, and is much resorted to by antiquarians. The two most celebrated brasses to the D’Abernon family are in the chancel. The church also contains a curious hour-glass and stand, and is otherwise interesting. The key is at the Manor House.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
The seat of her majesty the Queen, and of her ancestors from the period of the Conquest. Eton College also is within a short distance.
Nature has eminently favoured this town by the salubrity of its air, the potency of its mineral springs, and the adjacent appendages of romantic and agreeable scenery.