The capital of Kent, on the Medway, and in a tract of land of great fertility, among orchards, hop grounds, and woodlands.
This was one of the places disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It contains a population of 4,266, and a good sized church with a monument, the inscription on which purports the church to have been founded by R. Lewkner, Esq., the wife of whom had been connected with the courts of Edward IV. and Henry VII.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
This ancient borough town, having been a British town before the Roman invasion, stands in a rich vale on the banks of the Medway.
Nature has eminently favoured this town by the salubrity of its air, the potency of its mineral springs, and the adjacent appendages of romantic and agreeable scenery.