This place contains a population of about 9,975, who return one member, and are engaged in the tan and saltworks.
Here are the ruins of a Dominican Friary, founded in 1201, and dismantled by Cromwell. The church, partly in ruins, contains a bell tower, and tombs of the Fitzgeralds. The fortified town walls and gates, with the stone-built houses, &c., &c., all exist as in old times, though in ruins; some dismantled by Cromwell. Close at hand are Mount Coote, C. Coote, Esq.; Ush Hill Tower, E. Evans, Esq.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
This old seat of the O’Briens, now the capital of Limerick county, a parliamentary borough and a thriving port, has a population of about 67,000, lies in a flat part of Munster 50 miles from the mouth of the Shannon.