This small, yet pretty bathing place, which has Dr. Adam Clarke’s School and monument, and where the mirage is often seen, is beautifully situated on a basalt peninsula.
A borough town, with a population of about 5,857, who return one member, and are employed in the salmon and eel fisheries, and manufactures of paper, soap, candles, and leather, situated on the banks of the river Bann, about three miles from the sea. A sand bank extends across the mouth of this river, and prevents its navigation by vessels of heavy tonnage in rough weather. The town is large and handsome, and contains a church built in 1614, with old tombs, which stands on the site of the priory and old abbey. Close at hand is mount Sandel, 200 feet high; Dawn Hill, Mrs. Maxwell; Dundoun House, J. Boyd, Esq. Archbishop Vesey was a native.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
The capital town of the county, which contains a population of about 35,529. It stands on the western bank of the Foyle, and consists of four principal streets, which cross each other at right angles, and from which a number of smaller ones diverge.