This is a small decayed borough, having a population of about 1,652, engaged principally as tin-workers – it has also a very limited export trade, Kidwelly Castle is here situated: it is reported to have been erected by William de Landres, a Norman adventurer, who conquered Glamorganshire about the year 1094. It now belongs to the Earl of Cawdor. The gateway is good, and altogether presents a noble relic of ancient magnificence. Here King John took refuge whilst at war with the barons.
Carmarthen is the capital of Carmarthenshire on the South Wales Railway, and the river Towey, with a population of 9,993. It is one of the most healthy towns, and commands a view of one of the finest vales in the principality.
Tenby, on the coast of Pembrokeshire, was at a very remote period occupied by the ancient Britons as a fishing town, and is most romantically situated on the eastern and southern sides of a rocky peninsula, stretching out into the Bristol Channel.