Chester is a genuine Roman city, built four-square, within walls, which remain to this day.
The city of St. Asaph is situated on a delightful eminence between the streams, near the confluence of the rivers Elwy and Clwyd. The principal attraction of this city is the Cathedral, which was first built of wood in 596, by St. Asaph, and rebuilt in 1770. The plan of the church is like most others cruciform, with a square embattled tower rising from the intersection of the nave and transepts. The visitor on entering the sacred edifice will be struck with the solemnity which pervades the building; the chastened light, entering from the richly painted windows, evidently copied from those of Tintern Abbey, throws a softened tint over the Gothic stalls and chequered pavement of the choir, which to the eye capable of appreciating the beauty of the scene is highly pleasing and interesting. It contains tombs of Bishops ap Owen in 1512, and Barrow, the uncle of the celebrated Boac Barrow. The most eminent prelates of this see were Parry, Morgan (who translated the Bible into Welsh), Tanner, Beveridge, and Horsley.
The Episcopal Palace is an ancient one, rebuilt by the late bishop. The neighbourhood of St. Asaph is studded with a variety of gentlemen’s seats, among which are Pengwern, Lord Mostyn; Kinmel, Lord Dinorben; and Bodelwyddan, Sir J. Williams, Bart.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
A cathedral town and bathing place in Carnarvonshire, North Wales, near Snowdon, and only 2¼ miles from the Britannia Bridge. You enter it by a tunnel 3,000 feet long. It is an excellent resting place, not only for the fine m…
The ancient town of Conway is within the wall that were erected at the same time as the castle. Although not a manufacturing town, it has always been a place of some importance.