Carmarthen is the capital of Carmarthenshire on the South Wales Railway, and the river Towey, with a population of 9,993. It is one of the most healthy towns, and commands a view of one of the finest vales in the principality.
Three miles distant is Margam Park, the seat of C. R. M. Talbot, Esq., M.P., the descendant of the Mansells. Here is an orangery, 327 feet by 81 which contains the produce of a cargo from Holland intended for Queen Mary, but wrecked here in 1694. A bay tree, 60 feet high, and 45 in diameter, spread, and a magnificent forest of oak trees, for which the Government, in 1800 offered £40,000.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.
This is a small decayed borough, having a population of about 1,652, engaged principally as tin-workers.
Cardiff, a borough town, and capital of Glamorganshire, is built on the east bank of the river Taff or Tay, near its entrance into the mouth of the Severn.