A bustling agricultural town and borough in West Hants, with a population of 5,221, represented by two members in the House of Commons.
After leaving Basingstoke the line proceeds through a chalky range, from which various parks may be seen extending on every side – blended with scattered villages Passing the stations of Oakley, Overton, and Whitchurch, we arrive at the important station of
A deviation of the Andover and Redbridge, a line 22½ miles long, takes place here. It passes the stations of Clatford, Fullerton Bridge, Stockbridge, Horsebridge, Mottisfont, and Romsey to Redbridge, a station between Southampton and Dorchester.
Salisbury is a parliamentary borough and a bishop’s see, in Wiltshire, 96 miles from London, on the rich green pastures of the Avon.
Dinton.–Dinton House, seat of W. Wyndham, Esq., is on the river Nadder, and was the birth-place of the great Lord Clarendon, 1608. Wickhall Camp, an ancient encampment, is near.
This town has a population of 5,523, and is prettily situated on the slope of a hill in the vale of Blackmore. It was once the seat of a bishopric, but was removed to Old Sarum in 1075.
An ancient town, the seat of a considerable glove trade.
Chard, a well-built market town, trading in silks and broad cloths.
Situated on the river Axe. Some of the best and finest description of carpets are made here.
Returns two members to parliament, and produces lace of a very costly description.
Exeter is pleasantly situated on an eminence rising from the eastern bank of the river Exe, which encompasses its south-west side, and over which it has a handsome stone bridge.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.