A town of muslin weavers and embroiderers, belonging to the Londonderry family, at the head of Lough Strangford.
On leaving the station at Belfast we immediately cross the river Lagan, which flows into Belfast Lough, and enter the county Down.
Taking the direction of the river Knock, we pass the station of that name; thence to Dundonald, and
Comber, with its old castle, Druidical remains, and a church, built on the site of an old abbey, Fairs, January 14th, April 5th, June 28th, and October 19th.
A branch line runs hence to Donaghadee, a distance of fourteen miles. The first station we arrive at is
This place is favoured by nature, though somewhat improved by art, with a good and convenient harbour, from whence a submarine telegraph was laid down in 1853, across to the Scottish coast.
Retracing our steps to the junction at Comber, we pass on, via Ballygowan and Saintfield to Ballynahinch Junction, the town itself lying at the extremity of a short line to our right, about l½ mile long.
Situated on the river Quoile, in a valley, at the south-west corner of Strangford Lough, has a population of about 5,000.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.