The town is situated on the northern side of the peninsula and has risen within a very few years to a considerable degree of importance by the construction of a magnificent harbour for the protection of vessels bound for the port of Dublin.
This line of railway passes along the eastern shores of the northern part of County Dublin, crossing a small portion of that of Meath, by which the varied and interesting coast scenery of those counties is presented to the eye of the traveller. On leaving Dublin the line crosses the Clontarf estuary, from whence is obtained, a remarkably fine view of the Bay of Dublin, with the Wicklow hills and Bray Head in the rear. The estuary is bounded on the north side by the picturesque plains of Clontarf, with Clontarf Castle in the centre. The green lanes of this district are a favourite resort of the citizens, and the locality is familiar to every reader of Irish history, as the battle field on which King Brian Bororhime in 1014 achieved a victory over the Danes. The well of Brian Bororhime is still in existence near the castle. At a distance of 3¾ miles from Dublin we come to
Raheny, in the neighbourhood of which are Raheny House, J. Sweetman, Esq.; Raheny Park; Killested Abbey, D. Nugent, Esq.
Junction, one mile. Here the
Three-and-a-half miles long, runs out from the main line. Two miles beyond the Junction brings us to
Baldoyle and Sutton stations, situated on the narrow isthmus that connects the famed Hill of Howth with the mainland. To the north lies the picturesque fishing village, of Baldoyle, and to the south the Sutton side of the Hill of Howth. Few places can compare with Sutton for beauty of scenery and the mildness and salubrity of its atmosphere. It commands a fine situation on the northern banks of the Bay of Dublin, at the foot of the Hill of Howth, which here protects it from the easterly winds, thereby affording great attractions to the invalid and lovers of sea-side resort. One-and-a-half mile further brings us to
Dublin and Drogheda Kain Line continued
Again returning to the junction, a run of two miles brings us to
Portmarnock, where are ruins of Rob’s Wall Castle, built by the De Birminghams, church at Carrickhill, and two Martello towers. Two and a quarter miles further is
This place is celebrated for its oyster fisheries, and has an old church, with ancient tombs of the Talbots, and in the churchyard some beautiful old chesnut trees.
From Malahide the line traverses the harbour on a wooden viaduct of 11 spans, each 50 feet wide, about a mile on the other side of which is
Donabate, a living which, was held by Pilkington, the author of “Dictionary of Painters” who was born at the seat of C. Cobbe, Esq., Newbridge, in 1730, the collection of pictures at which was selected by him. Close at hand is Turvey House, the old seat ofthe Barnewell family (Lord Trimlestown), whose tombs are in the old church.
Rush and Lusk. – The former has a pier harbour, defended by a martello tower. Rush House, the seat of R. Palmer, Esq., contains a tine gallery of old masters, and many antiquities, especially vases from Pompeii; and the latter place contains the east end of the Abbey Church, with fonts, and effigies of Sir C. Barnewell, W. Dermot, J. Birmingham, square steeple, stone-roofed crypt, with round turrets at three corners, and a round uncapped tower on the fourth; close to which is Kenmure, the seat of Sir R. Palmer, Bart., with an old church, with camp and martello towers close at hand.
It has a pier harbour and Holmpatrick Church, and is celebrated for the lauding of Sir P. Sidney in 1575.
This place has a population of about 2,959, who are chiefly employed in the stocking, linen, tanning, muslin, and embroidering trades.
On proceeding a distance of two miles further we enter the county of Meath.
Having just passed the boundary line dividing the maritime counties of Dublin and Meath, we come at once to the station of
Gormanston, near which lies Gormanston Castle, Viscount Gormanston, and at a distance of three miles further, the little station of Laytown, the village ot which lies a little to our right at the mouth of the Nannywater, immediately the stream is crossed. From this point the line gradually curves to the north-west tor a distance of 5 miles, then crosses the river Boyne, and enters the county of Louth, on the northern banks of which, immediately to our left, stands the town of
A parliamentary borough, one member, population about 16,880. Cotton and linen yam is spun. It enjoys a good trade in Irish produce, and has remains of two old monasteries.
The line now recrosses the Boyne, taking a westerly direction for 39 miles further. The first station on leaving Drogheda is
[Duleek], 4½ miles, with its fine stone cross and old church. Fairs are held here on March 25th, May 3rd, June 24th, October 18th. Close at hand are Drogheda House, Marquis of Thomond; Somerville, Right Hon. Lord Athlumney, M.P.; Athcarne, De Batte’s seat, and Plutten, J. D’Arey’s. Seven miles further brings us to the station of
It is here the visitor should make a short stay, if he would enjoy the richest portion of the beautiful scenery of the Boyne.
This town, which was an important military station in Edward the Fourth’s time, has a population of about 6,898, who are engaged in the provision, flax, flour, and paper trades.
Then passing [Ballybeg], we arrive at
The church contains tombs of the Marquis of Ileadfort’s family, whose castle, with an old cross and round tower 99 feet high, are close at hand.
Oldcastle, a market town on the river Crosswater, deriving its name from a Castle which once occupied the site. Limestone is abundant in the neighbourhood.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.