Here are the ruins of the Geraldines’ Castle, built in 1480. St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic College, a quadrangular edifice, containing chapel, rooms, and noble library of 18,000 volumes, covering 54 acres.
The Dublin and Meath railway runs out at this station, and unites itself with the Kells section of the Dublin and Drogheda line at Navan.
Lucan, situated on the Liffey, in a beautiful spot. It is a watering place of some note, and has a boiling spring and mineral spa. In the vicinity are Lucan Abbey, J. Gandon, Esq., the seat of Gandon, the architect; Lucan House, C. Colthurst, Esq.; Weston Park, J. Eeed, Esq., near the Salmon Leap. Here races are held in February, March, June, and October. We then proceed to
Leixlip, situated close to the Salmon Leap The Royal Canal is here crossed by an aqueduct 100 feet high. The Castle, the seat of Hon. G. Cavendish, was built by Adam Fitz-Hereford, and here King John lived when Earl of Montaigne. Leixlip House, seat of J. Nesbitt, Esq., is close at hand. Markets are held on Saturday; and Fairs May 4 and October 9.
Passing Kilcock, where markets are held on Wednesday; and fairs March 25, May 11, August 11, and September 29, we reach Fern’s Lock, Enfield, Moy Valley, Hill of Down, and Killucan, which has ruins of Hugh de Lacy’s castle, and where fairs are held on March 27, May 25, September 29, and November 28, close to which is Hyde Park, seat of G. d’Arcy, Esq., we reach
This place has a large population employed in the wool and butter trade, and contains the ruins of two castles, and large infantry barracks for 1,000 men.
This station forms the junction of the line to Longford, winch turns off to the right.
Mullingar to Cavan and Sligo
Multyfarnham, beautifully situated near Lake Deraveragh, has the ruins of an abbey, with a steeple 90 feet high, built in 1236, and which contains tombs of the Nugents. Here the Observantines held a chapter in 1529, and the Roman Catholics assembled in 1641. Fairs are held on March 4th, May 13th, September 1st, December 2nd. Close at hand are the beautiful seats of Ballinadoon, C. P. Murphy, Esq.; Donore, Sir P. Nugent, Bart.,; Mornington, E. Daly, Esq.
We again proceed from Multyfamham, in the direction of Longford, and very soon enter the county of that name.
This is a small, though the principal, town of the county. It stands on the banks of the river Longford.
Midland Great Western Main Line continued
Leaving Mullingar we pass the station of Castletown, and in a few minutes arrive at Streamstown, the junction of a line to Clara, a station in connection with the Athlone section of the Great Southern Railway to Killarney and Cork. Proceeding onward from Mullingar we pass the little station of Moate, and soon after that of
A borough town, the greater part is on the Westmeath side of the Shannon, which issues out of Lough Rea, a short distance north, but a portion is in Roscommon, on the opposite bank.
The Great Northern and Western railway now turns off to the right. It intersects the counties of Roscommon and Mayo to Castlebar and Westport, a place of considerable importance, both as to its coasting and foreign trade.
We then reach Ballinasloe, which is on the borders of the counties of Roscommon and Galway, and noted for its cattle fairs, which are held on the 5th October, May 7th, 4th and 6th July. The castle is an old, moated fort, of Elizabeth’s time, and is the seat of J. T. Maher, Esq. There are markets on Saturday for corn. We reach
Athenry, where are the ruins of a castle and Dominican friary, built in 1261, by the De Birminghams. Markets are held here on Fridays, and fairs May 5th, July 2nd, October 20th, and* Oranmore, where fairs are held on May 22nd and October 20th. A branch fifteen miles long, running to the right in a northerly direction fbrms a communication direct with Tuam.
Oranmore. – Here are the ruins of Oranmore Castle, built by the Earls of Clanricarde, on the site of which is Gran Castle, the seat of W. Blake, Esq., near the shallow and rocky bay of Oramnore. Wallscourt, Lord Wallscourt, and the round tower of Murrough, about 40 feet high, are close at hand.
The capital of County Galway, a parliamentary borough, has a population of about 23,195, and is a port in the west of Ireland, at the head of a fine bay.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.