Here is the royal Dockyard, on a space of 71 acres, inclusive of 5 more at the Gun Wharf.
Almost before we get clear of Plymouth our arrival is announced at
The only features of attraction here are the parish church and the ruins of a building called the palace.
Grampound Road. – About two miles from this station is the rotten borough of Grampound, one of the many existing in Cornwall (which, being a crown duchy, the court influence was the paramount), but disfranchised for gross corruption, in 1841.
From Grampound, Trewithian and its beautiful grounds are passed, and Probus, with its elaborately decorated church tower; Tregothnan, the seat of the Earl of Falmouth, and Pencalenich, that of T. Vivian. Esq., and Ave see before us from the top of a high hill the picturesquely-situated town of
Truro, the mining capital of Cornwall, and a parliamentary borough. It is now the principal coinage town in the Duchy, where the metal is stamped, previous to being exported.
A branch line 11¾ miles long here diverges in a south westerly direction to the station of Perran, to the left of which lies the beautifully-situated seat of Sir C. Lemon, Bart., at Carclew. At tins point the line begins to curve towards the east, passes the scat of J. Enys, Esq., of Enys, to the left, and the old borough town of Penryn, whence, by the banks of a pretty creek, we reach
This town was formerly an important mail racket station. Below it are Pendennis Castle and St. Anthony’s Light, on the opposite sides of the entrance.
Retracing our steps to Truro, we now proceed westward by the
Truro to Hayle, Penzance, &c.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.