Skip to content

Bradshaw’s Guide

Tunbridge to Hastings

Tunbridge Well and Hastings Branch

The railway commences through a series of deep cuttings, and then proceeds through a tunnel of considerable length. The strata on each side of the line is composed of ironstone and sand-stone, diversified with clay, in a manner quite peculiar to the county.

Tunbridge Wells

Nature has eminently favoured this town by the salubrity of its air, the potency of its mineral springs, and the adjacent appendages of romantic and agreeable scenery.

From Tunbridge Wells the railway proceeds south and enters the county of Sussex, through a short tunnel at starting, and then proceeds through a deep cutting to


A short distance from this station is Bridge Castle, the demesne of the Earl of Abergavenny, situated in a noble park, well stocked with deer.

Between Frant and Robertsbridge the scenery becomes less picturesque, though the country is highly cultivated, and the hop-grounds are particularly fine. Near the Wadhurst station there is rather a long tunnel, and the church of Wadhurst is worthy a visit.

Ticehurst Road

Ticehurst is rather a large town, situated on high ground, about three miles and a half to the east of the station, in the midst of a splendid agricultural country.


The church at Etchingham is a fine old edifice, reputed to be one of the best specimens of Norman architecture in the country.

The stations at Frant, Etchingham, and Battle are built in the Gothic character; those at Wadhurst, Ticehurst Road, and Robertsbridge are in the Italian style, of red and white brick and Caen stone.


The village is situated on the banks of the river Rother, and only remarkable for the houses being constructed of red brick, which gives the place a peculiar appearance.


This town was formerly called Epiton, and received its present name from being the spot on which the Saxons, under Harold, were defeated by William, the Duke of Normandy, in 1066.

Four miles further is

St. Leonards

St. Leonards, the recognised “west-end” of Hastings, with which is now connected, a fine noble archway marking the boundary of the two townships, was planned and executed by the well-known architect, Mr. Decimus Burton, who commenced his bold project in 1828.


The recognised salubrity and mildness of the air, together with the openness of the coast and the smoothness of the beach, have long made Hastings a favourite and a recommended resort.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.

Further reading