This is a neat and respectable town, close to the western border of Salisbury Plain, on which, in the neighbourhood, are many remains of the old Britons.
Our first station on this section of the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth line, is that at
Proceeding on our way with Battlesbury, Middlebury, Scratchbury, Cotley, and Golden Barrow, close by on our left (all ancient encampments), we arrive at Heytesbury.
This town is situated in a pleasant valley on the river Wiley, with a population of 1,103, chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture. Here Queen Maude lived.
Proceeding by the banks of the Wiley, we arrive at
In the vicinity are a Druidical circle on Codford Hill, Bayton Hall, A B. Lambert, Esq.; Bayton Church, built in 1301, with an ancient font, and Stockton House. Codford St. Mary’s Norman church is deserving a visit.
In the neighbourhood are Deptford Inn (½ mile), Fisherton de la Mére (1 mile). Yarmbury Castle (2 miles), a most interesting earthen work or fortification, occupying an elevated situation above the plain.
Langford. – In this vicinity are Steeple Langford, Hanging Langford, Stapleford, Groveley Wood (here the Wiltshire hounds meet), and at East Castle, are earthworks 214 yards round. Groveley Castle contains 14 acres, is single ditched, with ramparts, and commands a beautiful view; and Hamshill, with its ditches: all of these are thought to have been British towns, occupied by the Romans. The train then proceeds on to
Here is an excellent Free Grammar School, and a handsome church. In the vicinity are South Newton and Wilton Woodford, at which the ancient Bishops of Sarum had a palace.
Soon after we arrive at
Wilton is a place of great antiquity, and its importance is indicated by the circumstance of its having given name to the county.
Salisbury is a parliamentary borough and a bishop’s see, in Wiltshire, 96 miles from London, on the rich green pastures of the Avon.
Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.